Grilled Mediterranean Chicken SkewersPrint Recipe
- Garlic and Herb Marinade:
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley, mint, tarragon and chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 1⁄2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 11⁄2-inch chunks
- Tabouleh Salad:
- 1 cup fine or medium bulgur
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 bunch scallions, including some of the green, finely sliced
- 4 bunches Italian parsley, finely chopped, about 4 cups
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mint
- 3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Make the marinade, whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl.
Combine the marinade and chicken in a Ziploc bag. Turn several times to coat the chicken pieces, and refrigerate 1-24 hours.
Make the tabouleh salad:
Put the bulgur in a bowl, cover it with boiling water, and let stand until the water is absorbed and the grains are soft, about 15 minutes. Press out any excess liquid, return the bulgur to the bowl, and toss with half the lemon juice, the scallions, tomatoes, parsley and mint. Let stand 20-30 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the remaining lemon juice, oil, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt together. Pour the dressing over the bulgur and toss well. Check the seasoning-it should be lemony and very zesty.
Grill the chicken:
Prepare the grill. Thread the chicken skewers. Grill the chicken skewers over medium low fire, turning once, for 8-10 minutes. When chicken looks opaque on all sides, check for doneness by cutting into one of the pieces with a small knife. Serve the chicken with the tabouleh.