Grilled Lime Chicken with Stone Fruit ChutneyPrint Recipe
- CHUTNEY: (makes 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced very thin
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3 cups fresh mixed summer fruit—plums, nectarines, peaches, etc.
- juice from 1⁄2 orange
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
Begin by making the chutney.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion browns, 4-5 minutes.
Add the ginger and garlic and sauté till fragrant, about 1 more minute. Lower heat to medium and add the remaining ingredients. Cook until the fruit starts to soften but not fall apart, about 5 minutes longer.
Taste and adjust seasoning. Can be set aside at room temperature for several hours before serving.
Time for the chicken.
Place the olive oil, garlic and chile in a small saucepan over low heat. When the garlic just starts to sizzle, remove the pan from the heat.
Mix with the lime juice in a large, shallow nonreactive pan and set aside to cool. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Grill the chicken over a medium hot fire until the chicken is almost done.
Add the cilantro to the sauce and place the chicken parts in the sauce, rolling them around to coat.
Return the parts to a cool-medium grill and cook 5 minutes longer or until done.
Serve warm or at room temperature.